- Mudras and Acidity
- Mudra for Acidity
- Varun Mudra
- Pushan Mudra
- Samana Mudra
- Apana Vayu Mudra
- Vayu Mudra
Acidity or acid reflux is a very common problem today. That burning sensation in the chest could be overwhelming in acidity. Yoga mudras for acidity are simple hand gestures you can practice anytime, anywhere, irrespective of any causes.
How Yoga Mudras Treat Acidity?
Mudras and Acidity could be analyzed with an ayurvedic view!
Analyzing acidity with the Ayurvedic eye tells us how acidity occurs and which mudra would be effective in its treatment.
When a person has acidity problem, practicing yoga mudra:
- Increases the fire element deficiency in the body to boost digestion
- Eases the body’s excretion process to flush out toxins causes acidity
- Relief from the sense of stress (stress as cause acidity)
Agni or fire element is responsible to digest the food we eat, so in case of digestion-related problems (acidity, constipation, vomiting) the fire element gets disturbed in the body. In Ayurveda, it’s referred as imbalanced Pitta Dosha.
When Pitta Dosha isn’t present in a balanced state, it makes the fire element less active and the water element (acid in this case) more dominant.
In case of acidity:
- Due to inactive fire element – The food we eat doesn’t get enough fire to break its particles and neither it stimulates glands to produce digestive hormones. It makes ama, undigested food particles.
- Due to dominant water element – Water in its dominance suppresses the fire of digestion. Also, water’s expansion nature makes it mix with ama and flows back up into the food pipe (esophagus).
This water is actually the acid that is bitter in taste and may cause burning pain in the chest (heartburn). This is how acidity occurs in the body.
When acidity diagnosed more than 2 times in a week, it becomes more severe and called as Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
Download Yoga Mudra PDF
Ultimate List of Yoga Mudras. Get PDF now.
Mudra for Acidity
Yoga mudras are easy practices based on the concept of Ayurveda to balance 3 Doshas. Its working is very similar to acupuncture and acupressure.
You can practice these 5 mudras for acidity and gastric:
- Varun Mudra
- Pushan Mudra
- Samana Mudra
- Apana Vayu Mudra
- Vayu Mudra
1. Varun Mudra – Gesture to Reduce Acid Reflux
Varun mudra is a simple acidity mudra that works on reducing the excess of the water element as excess water works in the formation of bitter acid.
How to Perform Varun Mudra:
- Sit straight on floor or a chair and bring your hands on your thighs.
- Now bend your little finger in such a way that thumb easily exerts a gentle pressure on its top.
- Extend rest three fingers straight.
- Make this finger arrangement with your both hands and rest hands on thighs.
Hold hands in varun mudra for 15-20 minutes. You can do it 3 times a day.
Also Read: Varun Mudra Benefits and Side effects
In Varun Mudra, acidity gets cured when thumb, the place of the fire element, presses the little finger, the place of water element. You will also get relief from belching by practicing this mudra.
2. Pushan Mudra – Gesture for Balancing Energy
This mudra cures acidity by balancing the three Vayus in 5 Pranas.
- Prana Vayu – Upward flowing energy
- Apana Vayu – Downward flowing energy
- Samana Vayu – Central or navel energy
In this mudra, Prana and Apana vayu are directed by practicing Prana and Apana mudra simultaneously with different hands, it balances the Samana vayu, energy responsible for digestion.
To do Pushan Mudra:
- With your right hand, bend your index and middle finger to touch the tip of the thumb. And, extend the other two fingers straight.
- With your left hand, make Apana mudra. To do this, bend middle and ring fingers to touch the tip of the thumb and extend the rest two fingers straight.
- Now place both hands on your kneecap and meditate on navel chakra.
This mudra relieves upper-GI-tract issues like heartburn, difficulty swallowing, stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, etc. One can do this mudra after having a heavy meal for 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Apana Vayu Mudra – Gesture to Relieve Heartburn
This mudra is also called Mrit Sanjeevani Mudra, a panacea for heart-related problems. In acidity, Apana Vayu mudra relieves from the burning sensation in the heart and reduces the bitter effect of acid causing acidity.
To do this mudra,
- Bend your index finger and touch its top at the base of the thumb.
- Now bring together middle and ring finger, bend it to the thumb, and press it gently against thumb tip.
- Extend the little finger straight.
- Do this with both hands and place it over the kneecap and concentrate on your heart chakra.
4. Samana Mudra – Gesture of Digestion
This hand mudra is very helpful in gas and indigestion. In this mudra, we bring together all fingers to unite the 5 elements energy and then direct this energy to the navel or heart region.
To do Samana Mudra,
- Sit straight in Vajrasana, bring hands to the abdomen, and place your palm facing down on the navel.
- Now take your hands off and bring together all 5 fingers of the hand pointing to the navel.
- Hold fingers pointing to the navel centre for 10 minutes.
This hand gesture cures acidity by activating the dormant digestive fire. Digestion power increase by practicing this mudra regularly.
You can do Apana Vayu mudra for 30 minutes in any position when have nausea and sour mouth. These are common symptoms of hyperacidity.
5. Vayu Mudra – Gesture to Relieve Gastric
Vayu means air or gas. Practicing Vayu mudra is very helpful to relieve gastric problems. This mudra diminishes the excess air present in our body.
To practice Vayu Mudra,
- Bend the index finger of both hands and press the tip of thumb over the second phalanx of the index finger.
- The rest three-finger should be stretched outward.
- You can place your hands on thighs to completely rest fingers in this mudra.
Holding this mudra for 10 minutes daily in the morning and evening can permanently cure the gastric problems.
Yoga Mudra For
Yoga Mudra according to your problem
Hasta mudras are the easiest yoga practices that can relieve you from acidity, gas, or indigestion related problems. Mudras might not look promising in beginning but once you start practicing, it definitely can help you with many problems.
And anyway, it doesn’t demand much from you, just 10-15 minutes, whenever you’re free! Even if it doesn’t benefit you with acidity or any other problems, it will definitely improve your concentration.
Well explained. Ji.one have to practice all the five mudras at a time.thanks for the reply in advance.
No, it’s not necessary to practice all five mudras at a time. You can choose any one or two mudras, practice them for some time and observe the positive results.
Muje acidity pith me aur neck ke niche shoulder m hone lagti h, pain hota h, bahut thakan lagti h, chest m b heavy feel hota h, acidity pith n shoulder m hone k kya karan h and usme jyada effective mudra kaun se h.
Very commendable sharing of knowledge. God Bless you dear.
Hi sir during acidity problem we have to do any one of these five or we have to practice all the five mudra
Every one of these 5 would work.
hello sir, do you know any mudra for silent reflux (pharyngolarygeal reflux), sore throat, hoarsiness, mucus production regio of the throat, throat clearing etc
Excellent article sir! Every morning when I wake up there is a poking sensation in my mid-chest region. There is catch in breath. I can’t talk or sing to my full capacity. Have acidity. What can be done?
If you feel it’s because of acidity, you can try kunjal kriya in the morning. Apart from that, you can incorporate the above-mentioned mudras into your yoga practice.
The practical problem in doing Samana Mudra is that the tip of the Thumb is unable to accommodate the tips of the other four fingers. At least, the tip of one finger remains outside of Thumb. Is there any other Mudra for Samana Vayu? Can I practice Vyan mudra on one hand and Prana Mudra on other hand, do that all five elements get activated as in Samana Mudra. Please advise.
In beginning if your thumb isn’t able to accommodate the other four fingertips in Samana mudra then it’s completely okay! Adjust your finger a little up and down, with time all fingers will come naturally in contact with the thumb tip.
The alternative mudra for Samana Vayu is pushan mudra. It’s vyan mudra on one hand and Apana mudra on other hand.
are you saying exact mudra position for prana mudra sir
Sir…I am suffering a little burning sensation in my chest please help me with some mudras.
All 5 mudras mentioned in this article are helpful, especially Apana Vayu mudra will ease the heartburn sensation.
Please give a solution for Palpitation due to gas trouble.
Palpitations normally happen when gas from the stomach trapped in the esophagus. You can try these mudras for the heart to relieve from such gastric problems, especially Apana Vayu mudra would be helpful in Palpitation.
Very well explained. Photographs will be helpful.
Very well explained. Even though there are no pictures one understands the mudras perfectly.. photographs would however be helpful esp for people not very well familiar with english.