“Contemplating the Self as the Manipura chakra, which is luminous like the rising Sun, and gazing at the tip of the nose, the yogi shakes the world.” – Goraksha-Praddhati
The prior thing that separates us from the crowd is our confidence, self-esteem and will power. Every person is different in behavior and character only because of these things. Isn’t it?
All these powers come from our subtle body and the source of our inner powers in our subtle body is Manipur/Solar Plexus Chakra.
Solar Plexus or Manipura Chakra: Energy Centre of Transformation
The third major chakra in the series of 7 chakras is Manipura Chakra- the Solar Plexus Chakra. This chakra is associated with fire, the power of transformation. The energy of this chakra allows us to transform according to the challenges of our life.
The literal meaning of Manipura in Sanskrit is ‘City of Gems’, where ‘Mani’ means ‘gem’ and ‘Pura’ means ‘city’. In the case of chakra, Manipura means Bright Gem or Lustrous Gem. In Yogic language, the gem within us is our self-esteem and will power and this chakra is the source of our confidence and self-esteem. Balancing this chakra makes out your true self shine brightly.
This chakra is located in the navel region just above the belly and below the breastbone. This is located at the center of our body.
Moreover, Solar Plexus Chakra is also called Navel chakra. The Srimad Bhagawatam also calls Manipura Chakra by the name of Navel Chakra in the following Verse.
कृत्वा समानावनिलौ जितासना सोदानमुत्थात्य च नाभिचक्रतः ।
Then she (kundalini) carried the life air upwards and placed it in the position of equilibrium near the Nabhi Chakra/ Navel Chakra [Manipura Chakra.] (S.B. 4.4.25)
Manipura Chakra in Detail
To know Solar Plexus Chakra in detail, you need to draw your attention to the following points.
- Color significance.
- The energy frequency and seed mantra.
- Associated element.
Location of Manipura Chakra
Manipura Chakra is located in the Naval region (just above the navel), in correspondence with the solar plexus.
There is a lot of confusion in the exact location of this chakra. Many say it is exactly at the navel, however, many say it exactly at the Solar Plexus. But the location of Manipura is described by Guru Gorakhnatha in Goraksha Sataka.
तं नाभिमण्डलं चक्र प्रोच्यते मणिपुरकम् ।
Chakra present in Navel region is called Manipura.
According to Ramkrishna Paramhansa and Swami Vivekananda, the Chakras do not exist in the gross body or physical body. Moreover, they are part of the subtle body and are only visible when the Sushumna Nadi is opened.
Organs associated with the solar plexus chakra
Due to its location at the abdomen, Manipura Chakra is connected with the pancreas, organs of the digestive system and the outer adrenal glands. These glands secrete hormones for digestion and conversion of food into energy.
The color associated with the Manipura Chakra is Yellow.
Yellow is the color for brightness and enlightenment. This color represents energy. Yellow is also considered as the color of the sun, that represents shine.
Here Yellow color signifies the enlightenment of one’s true self. This means Solar Plexus Chakra emits bright energy to show one’s strong will power and confidence.
Symbol of Solar Plexus Chakra
Manipura Chakra is represented by a downward-facing triangle in the middle of a ten petal lotus in yellow color.
1. The number of petals (10 petals). 10 petals represent 10 pranas within us. These petals are connected to 5 pranas and 5 upa-pranas [efn_note] what are pranas and upa-prana https://www.yogaindailylife.org/system/en/the-spiritual-background/prana [/efn_note].
2. The Downward-Facing Triangle. The downward-facing triangle signifies the energy of the lower three chakras is being gathered and spread towards the higher chakras.
3. Symbolized Animal. Ram (riding animal of God of fire) is the animal symbol of this chakra.
4. Deities Connected. Deities connected to this symbol are Shiva and Shakti Lakini (wife of lord shiva).
The energy frequency and seed mantra
Bijaakshara or Seed Mantra: RAM
Frequency: 384 Hz
Associated Element with Manipura Chakra
Out of 5 elements lies within us, the element associated with the Manipura Chakra is Fire/Agni that is formed as heat in the solar plexus. Therefore we also call it the Fire center of the body.
The Manipura Chakra associates with the following behavioral characteristics.
- Control over thoughts and emotions.
- Willpower and self-discipline.
- Confidence and self-esteem.
- Power to transform thoughts into ideas.
Balanced Solar Plexus (Manipura) Chakra
When the Solar Plexus Chakra is balanced, one becomes confident and determined. We become self-controlled and self-disciplined. It is like mastering our own body. The following are characteristics of a Balanced Manipura Chakra.
- Inner empowerment- The Manipura Chakra is the core of our powers, so, it gives us control over the thought process, emotions, and mood swings. As a result, a good mood and optimistic point of view arise.
- Calm Mind– Controlling over our thought process and emotions, Solar Plexus Chakra allows us the flexibility of mind. We become calm and flexible. Further, we do not get angry easily, and we solve every problem with a calm mind.
- Self-esteem- The Solar Plexus is the source of our self-esteem and confidence. So, it gives us the power to believe in ourselves and make decisions & actions confidently.
- Digestion- Manipura Chakra helps to generate the digestive fire. Balance in this chakra keeps the digestive system healthy.
Imbalanced in Solar plexus Chakra
Even a slight imbalance in Solar Plexus Chakra can damage our inner willpower and confidence. As a result, the following disorders take place in our body.
- Problems in the liver and kidney.
- Difficulty in respiration.
- Nerve pain.
- Poor digestion.
- Get easily offended.
- Feeling of worthlessness.
- Dissatisfaction and restlessness.
A blockage in Solar Plexus Chakra makes you greedy, short-tempered and unwilling. Moreover, you will feel worthless and all your desires will seem unreachable. This makes us angry and rude.
There are two types of imbalances in Manipura Chakra. One, when it becomes overactive and second when it becomes underactive. Let’s discuss them one by one.
Overactive Solar Plexus Chakra
When Manipura Chakra is overactive, one becomes power-hungry and highly aggressive. In addition, one becomes a bit bossy type and try to get control over other people. Here are some signs that occur when Solar Plexus is overactive.
- Getting angry over little things.
- Trying to get control over the surroundings.
- Self-centered behavior.
- Lust for power.
- Hyperactive and possessive.
- Intolerant or conservative behavior.
Underactive Solar Plexus Chakra
When Solar Plexus Chakra is underactive, one feels a lack of confidence and ambition. Here are some signs of underactive Manipura Chakra.
- Losing decision making power.
- Hesitation to speak out your concern.
- Lack of confidence and willpower.
- Bad digestion.
- Low self-esteem and self-trust.
- Weak mentality and thought process.
- Fear to take responsibility.
If you feel any of the symptoms within you, it means your Solar Plexus Chakra is imbalanced. Now the question comes what you need to do to balance this chakra?
So, let me take you to the process of balancing the Manipura Chakra.
How to balance your Solar Plexus Chakra
When there is an imbalance in your Solar Plexus Chakra, you need to do the following practices in your daily life to balance it.
1. Give some time to yourself
In our busy lives, we often forget to give time to ourselves. Consequently, this habit doesn’t let you analyze yourself. Give some time to yourself, try to realize your actions and their outcomes. In addition, try to deepen your mind towards your inner self. This will let you know who you are and what you are capable of.
2. Behavioral Changes
Your rude behavior does not let you open up with others. Try to express yourself to others with love and kindness. Certainly, open up with others and try to get some new experiences. Getting out of your zone and trying something new can help you to open up and bring balance to Manipura Chakra.
3. Get Some Sunlight
Since the fire element is the core element of Solar Plexus Chakra, therefore, the Sun has a very beneficial effect on it. So, try to get out on sunny days and take sunbaths. This can help you to balance the Solar Plexus Chakra.
Yoga practices can be very helpful to balance your Solar Plexus Chakra. Hence, you can perform the following Yoga practices to bring balance to this chakra.
Here is a list of Yoga Asanas that you can perform to bring balance to your Manipura Chakra.
- Surya Namaskara (Sun salutation)
- Paripurna Navasana (Boat Pose)
- Tittibhasan ( Firefly pose)
- Dhanurasana (Bow pose)
The following Yoga Mudras are very beneficial to balance Manipura Chakra.
In addition, when you perform these mudras in conjunction with Pranayama, these mudras show the best effects.
Meditation is very helpful in balancing the chakras. When you perform meditation for balancing the chakras, you need to bring your awareness to the location of that chakra. Similarly, here you need to bring your awareness to the location of Solar Plexus Chakra, which is just above the navel. You can perform the following steps to balance this chakra with meditation.
- Sit in a comfortable Asana such as Sukhasana or Padmasana, hands on your lap. Relax your whole body with a couple of breaths and close your eyes.
- Bring your awareness to the Manipura Chakra location, that is just above the navel.
- Since this chakra is associated with Yellow color, therefore, imagine a yellow source of light just above your navel.
- Now take deep breaths and try to warm the navel region. Maintain the whole process for 5-10 minutes.
- When you are done, rub your hands on your face gently and slowly open your eyes.
- Chant the mantra RAM (Manipura Seed Mantra) during the meditation
Moreover, you can do this whole process in Kapalbhati Pranayama for better results.
Solar Plexus Chakra Affirmation
Affirmations are some positive thoughts or statements, that we say to ourselves, so that, we can conquer fear and negative thoughts. Here are some powerful affirmations that help in balancing the Solar Plexus Chakra.
- I am strong and confident.
- I pose my own powers.
- I love myself and accept every aspect of my life.
- I am worthy of love and respect.
- I am the creator and ruler of my life.
Solar Plexus Crystals
It is believed that nature and Earth pose the same powers as our bodies. Since crystals and stones are part of nature and Earth, therefore they associate some powers within them and helps in balancing the chakras.
To balance the Solar Plexus Chakra, helpful crystals and stones are Citrine, Carnelian, Topaz, Tiger Eye Stone, Malachite, Amber and Yellow Sapphire. Among these, the most beneficial stone is the Tiger Eye Stone.