- what is Kundalini?
- Kundalini awakening
- After kundalini awakening
- Is it Dangerous?
- How long it takes?
Kundalini is a sort of cosmic feminine energy said to reside at the base of the spine, the location of the Muladhara or root chakra. It’s also called “Kundalini Shakti” when happened in its dormant state.
If your kundalini is awakened, you will experience miraculous events that you would not imagine are possible. On kundalini awakening, your greater intelligence is aroused from a dormant state and you become able to give birth to a new range of creativity. Your body and everything respond in a completely different way as an entirely new element of energy is unleashed.
Here’s what you need to know about Kundalini awakening.
What is Kundalini?
Kundalini, which literally means “coiled snake” in Sanskrit, is the name of a sleeping dormant potential energy in the human body, situated at the root of the spinal column.
Kundalini is a type of spiritual energy that we all have. Its nature is such that you don’t even realize it’s there when it’s still, in its dormant state. Only when it moves will you know how powerful energy it’s.
Kundalini Yoga is an ancient method that can help you harness this powerful kundalini shakti. The practice strives to “uncoil the serpent” and reconnect us to our divine essence.
Also read: What does the snake represent in Kundalini?
What happens on kundalini awakening?
Kundalini awakening refers to the activation of the Kundalini energy, traditionally believed to reside at the base of the spine in a dormant state. This awakening leads to the energy rising through the chakras, or energy centers, up to the crown of the head, resulting in profound spiritual, emotional, and physical transformations.
On kundalini awakening, a surge of spiritual energy enters into sushumna nadi and moves from the base of the spine up through the chakras towards the top of the head—the crown chakra. Kundalini awakening causes experiencer to transform on the mental, emotional, and spiritual levels.
Sensation of kundalini energy moving is often experienced into chakra points but the effects are seen on the whole body. This energy is so strong and powerful that the body starts trembling and the person loses control over the body for some time. Some physical sensations or feelings may include warmth, tingling, itching, prickling, crying, tongue uttering random things.
Swami Satyananda Saraswati, one of a famous yoga guru of Swami Sivananda lineage, writes about this experience of Kundalini Awakening in his book “Kundalini Tantra” this way;
Suddenly I felt as if the earth was slipping from under me and the sky was expanding and receding. A moment later I experienced a terrible force springing from the base of my body like an atomic explosion. I felt that I was vibrating very fast, the light currents were terrific. I experienced the supreme bliss, like the climax of a man’s desire, and it continued for a long time. My whole body was contracting until the feeling of pleasure became quite unbearable and I lost complete awareness of my body.– Kundaliini Tantra by Swami Satyananda Saraswati
Kundalini awakening opens silent centres of the brain which are dormant because of lack of energy. When kundalini passes through various chakras on its way to the top of the head, through chakras activation, different centres of the brain get opened. Chakras are like exclusive switches made for different centres of the brain which gets activated only by the electric impulses of kundalini shakti.
What Are the Signs of Kundalini Awakening?
Signs are the positive or neutral indicators that Kundalini energy is active and moving within your body and energy system. These are typically experiences or states of being that reflect a beneficial transformation or spiritual progression.
- Enhanced Intuition: A noticeable increase in your ability to understand and perceive beyond the ordinary.
- Heightened Awareness: Being more aware of your surroundings, thoughts, and emotions.
- Increased Creativity: Finding yourself more creatively inspired and able to think outside of the box.
- Sense of Inner Peace: Experiencing moments of profound tranquility and serenity.
- Feeling Connected: A deepened sense of connection with others, nature, or the universe.
Kundalini awakening can manifest physically as a range of sensations along the spine, where the energy is believed to reside. Individuals often report feeling intense heat or a burning sensation, starting from the base of the spine and moving upwards. This can be accompanied by a tingling or prickling sensation, as well as waves of energy and vibrations throughout the body.
Some individuals may experience involuntary bodily movements, increased heartbeat, and alterations in breathing patterns. While this process can induce blissful and euphoric feelings, it can also bring about physical discomfort or intense emotional releases. It highlights the importance of navigating this spiritual journey with proper guidance and support.
Several individuals who have had their Kundalini unintentionally awakened have no idea what’s going on. It’s not always easy to tell whether our Kundalini energy is rising or if we’re having another type of spiritual experience. A spiritual awakening can be characterized as a Kundalini awakening, however spiritual awakenings are not usually associated with Kundalini.
If you’re not sure what you’re feeling, the greatest thing you can do is seek advice from a spiritual teacher or guide.
Read more: Are You Suffering from Kundalini Syndrome?
Kundalini Awakening Symptoms
Kundalini awakening is often described as a profound spiritual and transformative experience. Kundalini awakening symptoms can be viewed as the potentially challenging or uncomfortable physical, emotional, and mental experiences that may accompany a Kundalini awakening. These are the reactions or side-effects of the energy moving through and purifying your system.
Keep in mind that not everyone will experience the same set of symptoms, and some individuals may have more intense experiences than others.
1. Intense energy sensations along the spine or at the base of the spine
One of the initial signs of a Kundalini awakening is intense energy sensations along the spine or at the base of the spine are often. These sensations can vary in nature, ranging from a tingling, warm energy, to a sensation resembling an electrical current. It’s a feeling of energy moving, and it’s frequently associated with the awakening of the Kundalini energy at the base of the spine, which is linked to the Root Chakra (Muladhara).
This experience can be profound and may extend through the other chakras as the energy rises. Some may also see moving lights or colors associated with chakra. If the sensations are very intense or uncomfortable, it might indicate that the Kundalini energy is not flowing smoothly. On the other hand, if these sensations are accompanied by waves of bliss and bodily pleasure, it can be an indicator that your energy is flowing harmoniously and clearly, signifying a positive stage in the awakening process.
2. Feeling of heat or cold running through the body
The sensation of heat or cold running through the body is another common physical symptom associated with Kundalini awakening. It can be described as sudden waves of warmth or coldness coursing through various parts of the body, often without any external explanation, such as changes in the ambient temperature.
This sensation is closely related to the movement and activation of Kundalini energy. The heat is typically associated with an upwelling of energy, while coldness may indicate energy shifts as well. These experiences can be intense and may be accompanied by other physical and energetic sensations, offering further insight into the Kundalini awakening process.
3. Tingling, vibrating, or pulsating sensations, especially in the head or along the spine
During a Kundalini awakening, individuals often report tingling, vibrating, or pulsating sensations, primarily concentrated in the head or along the spine. These sensations can range from subtle tingles to more pronounced vibrations, and they are associated with the movement of Kundalini energy.
The head and spine are key areas for these sensations, as they align with major energy centers or chakras. These experiences can be a sign of the Kundalini’s active and transformative presence, and they may occur in various intensities, depending on the individual’s unique journey.
4. Spontaneous body movements, such as yoga-like postures or uncontrollable shaking
Another common sign of Kundalini awakening is experience of spontaneous and often uncontrolled body movements. These movements can take the form of yoga-like postures, involuntary stretching, or shaking. They are believed to be a physical response to the surge of Kundalini energy as it rises through the body and clears energy blockages.
While these movements may seem unusual or even intense, they are typically considered a natural part of the Kundalini awakening process and a sign of the energy’s transformative effects on the body and mind.
5. Sensitivity to light and sound
Kundalini awakening often leads to a heightened sensitivity to sensory stimuli like bright lights and loud sounds. It’s often a temporary effect of the increased awareness and energy shifts during the awakening process.
6. Changes in body temperature and sweating
“Changes in body temperature and sweating” refer to fluctuations in a person’s perceived body heat, which can range from feeling unusually warm or cold, often accompanied by changes in sweating patterns. These changes are linked to the energetic shifts associated with Kundalini awakening.
7. Increased or decreased appetite
During a Kundalini awakening, individuals may experience changes in their appetite. Some may notice an increased appetite, while others may experience a decreased desire for food. These variations in eating habits can be related to the energy changes and heightened awareness that occur during this process.
8. Sleep disturbances, including intense dreams or insomnia
Kundalini awakening often brings about sleep disturbances, which can manifest as intense, vivid dreams or periods of insomnia. These disruptions in sleep patterns are attributed to the heightened energy and heightened awareness associated with the awakening process.
Vivid dreams may contain symbolic or spiritually significant content, adding to the transformative nature of the experience, while insomnia can result from increased energy or mental activity during the night.
9. Sexual energy surges and changes in libido
During Kundalini awakening, individuals may experience surges in sexual energy and changes in libido. These shifts can manifest as heightened sexual desire or, conversely, a decrease in sexual interest. Such changes are associated with the Kundalini energy’s impact on the sacral chakra, which governs sexual and creative energy. This altered sexual energy can be part of the transformation and self-discovery process during Kundalini awakening.
10. Heightened physical senses
Kundalini awakening can lead to heightened physical senses. This can result in a more acute perception of the surrounding world through the five senses: sight, hearing, taste, smell, and touch. The individual may become more attuned to subtle details and experience a richer, more vibrant sensory perception of their environment.
11. Unexplained aches and pains
Unexplained aches and pains are common physical symptoms during Kundalini awakening. Individuals may experience discomfort, soreness, or localized pain in various parts of their body, often without a clear physical cause. These sensations are believed to be related to energy shifts and the clearing of blockages as Kundalini rises through the body’s energy channels.
Kundalini awakening is a deeply transformative experience that extends beyond the realm of physical symptoms. Alongside the physical symptoms mentioned earlier, individuals undergoing this spiritual journey often encounter a wide array of emotional, mental, spiritual, and behavioral changes. These encompass shifts in consciousness, enhanced intuition, profound personal transformation, and even alterations in daily life and relationships.
These ‘Other Symptoms’ are integral to the profound shifts in awareness and self-discovery that define the Kundalini awakening process.
- Intense emotional ups and downs – You may find yourself riding a rollercoaster of intense emotions, swiftly shifting from ecstatic highs to profound lows.
- Mood swings and emotional sensitivity – Your mood might fluctuate unexpectedly, and you could find yourself reacting more strongly to emotional stimuli than usual.
- Anxiety, fear, or panic attacks – You might experience heightened states of anxiety, fear, or even full-blown panic attacks during this transformative time.
- Profound joy, bliss, or euphoria – At times, you could feel overwhelmed by feelings of profound joy, bliss, or euphoria, enveloping you in a state of sublime contentment.
- Increased empathy and compassion – Your empathy and compassion towards others may increase significantly, allowing you to connect and feel with others on a deeper level.
- Emotional release, including crying or laughing without apparent cause – You might find yourself spontaneously expressing emotions, possibly crying or laughing without any clear reason or trigger.
- Deepened sense of connection to others and the universe – A deeper sense of connection to others and the universe may start to develop, making you feel a part of something much larger than yourself.
- Emotional purging and healing of past traumas – This period might also bring about an emotional purging, providing you with an opportunity to heal from past traumas and liberate yourself from old wounds.
- Heightened creativity and insight – You might notice your creative juices flowing more freely, leading to bursts of inspiration and profound insights.
- Enhanced intuition and psychic abilities – Your intuitive senses could become sharper, possibly even opening up pathways to psychic abilities you weren’t aware of before.
- Expanded awareness and consciousness – There may be a noticeable expansion in your awareness and consciousness, making you more attuned to your inner and outer worlds.
- Altered perception of time – You might experience an altered perception of time, where moments could either stretch out for an eternity or pass by in the blink of an eye.
- Difficulty concentrating or focusing on mundane tasks – Mundane, everyday tasks could suddenly seem more challenging to focus on as your mind is drawn towards deeper, more contemplative thoughts.
- Enhanced problem-solving and critical thinking – Your ability to solve problems and think critically might be significantly enhanced, leading to innovative solutions and perspectives.
- Increased mental clarity and mindfulness – A sense of mental clarity and mindfulness could become your new norm, allowing you to live in the moment with heightened awareness.
- Occasional feelings of depersonalization or derealization – You might occasionally feel a sense of depersonalization or derealization, as if you’re a spectator in your own life or as if the world around you is not quite real.
- Profound sense of oneness or unity with the universe – You may experience a profound sense of oneness, feeling intimately connected to the universe and everything in it.
- Awareness of a divine presence or higher power – There might be a newfound awareness or sense of a divine presence, guiding and watching over you, connecting you to a higher power.
- Spiritual awakening and personal transformation – This period could herald a phase of spiritual awakening and personal transformation, marking a pivotal point in your spiritual journey.
- Feeling guided or connected to a spiritual purpose – You may feel like you are being guided, with a clearer understanding of your spiritual purpose and path in life.
- Increased awareness of energy fields and auras – Your awareness of subtle energies, including energy fields and auras, could become significantly heightened.
- Experiencing mystical or transcendent states of consciousness – You might find yourself experiencing mystical or transcendent states of consciousness, providing you with glimpses beyond the ordinary reality.
- Opening of the third eye and crown chakra – The opening of your third eye and crown chakra may occur, leading to enhanced intuition, insight, and a connection to the divine.
Kundalini awakening can lead to behavioral changes. Individuals may exhibit increased mindfulness, compassion, and a desire for a healthier lifestyle, but they might also experience temporary instability or intensity in their reactions and interactions with others during the process.
Here are some behavioural changes one may experience on kundalini awakening;
- Increased interest in spiritual and esoteric practices
- Changes in lifestyle, including dietary preferences and exercise habits
- Enhanced connection to nature and the environment
- Altered social interactions and relationships
- Pursuit of holistic healing modalities and alternative therapies
- Desire for solitude and introspection
What happens after the kundalini awakened?
When the kundalini rises, it travels through the lower chakras until it reaches the Anahata, or heart chakra, where it remains. The seeker’s mind is drawn away from the three lowest chakras at that moment. The first sight of spiritual consciousness occurs when the mind dwells there. There is light everywhere.
When the kundalini rises further and reaches the Vishuddha or throat, you only want to talk and listen about the divine. You do not enjoy talking about the material or physical realm. After reaching the Ajna or the third eye, even though there are remnants of ego, you are still able to seek the absolute truth and experience bliss.
The connection with the divine happens when the kundalini energy reaches the Sahasrara or the crown. The individual and supreme soul become one.
The seeker enters the Samadhi state for a while. His awareness of his human body and boundaries fades. He loses his understanding of the outside world. He is no longer aware of the duality.
Moving through the chakras, one may also experience the following after kundalini awakening:
- Your unconscious thoughts will be brought forward as conscious thoughts when the energy flows up your spine. All your forgotten or ignored thoughts and emotions will be seen.
- Kundalini awakening will enable you to understand things from a new perspective. Something may begin to pique your curiosity or excite you.
- You start associating happy feelings with everything in your environment.
- You will see a change in your behavior towards everything around you. A sense of compassion, kindness, love for every being and object will arise within.
- Your soul will connect with every being and view it with a divine perspective.
- You’d begin to see things clearly and understand complicated issues more rapidly.
- Kundalini awakening guarantees that you’ll never lose control of things or yourself. You will be able to better control your emotions and bring harmony to the mind-body-soul.
- You’ll develop a spiritually improved personality and strive to find your way to divinity.
- The seven chakras get an endless supply of energy to revitalize the body, mind, and soul.
Is kundalini awakening dangerous?
Kundalini in itself is neither dangerous nor bad in any way, it’s just strong powerful energy in the body that practitioner feel when it comes to its awakened state.
Kundalini awakening is said dangerous in a way when a person isn’t fully prepared to the experience of this enormous energy within and yet without appropriate preparation, activates it with wrong practices and intention. Sometimes this is also called “Accidental Kundalini Awakening”. It’s the individual’s practice and approach that makes Kundalini dangerous, not the energy or process of awakening.
On the level of subtle body, a dangerous kundalini awakening can be understood as a result of obstructed or uncleaned Nadis system. Kundalini when comes to awakening always supposed to go upwards through the central energy channel i.e. sushumna nadi but instead of entering into sushumna, it may be forced into the ida- or the pingala-nadi, on either side of the central channel. It happens when prana within nadis aren’t flowing in balance, means your nadis aren’t fully purify yet and kundalini accidentally awakened.
How long does it take to awaken the kundalini?
Kundalini awakening is not a time-dependent process exactly and yet it could be! The timeframe for Kundalini awakening varies significantly from person to person, depending on various factors such as individual readiness, spiritual practices, and lifestyle choices.
For some, kundalini awakening may take a matter of weeks or months of dedicated practice, while for others it could be a journey of several years or even a lifetime. One may experience kundalini awakening instantly without no-prior experience, while for others it may take a few days, months, years or sometimes even an entire life span.
After years of maintaining a spiritual practice, practising Kundalini yoga kriyas and other techniques including meditation, and pranayama, some people experience a Kundalini awakening. But it can also happen on its own, without any prior training.
Even if you jump for 10 minutes or play football, your Kundalini will be activated to a certain extent. People display a remarkable level of power when they are completely immersed in a game. This is because rigorous action activates the Kundalini.
Don’t be concerned about when your kundalini will awaken. You can have no inkling as to when this may occur. In fact, it will never disclose itself till the conscious mind is waiting for the result of kundalini awakening.
Patience is essential in this journey because it requires utmost faith in the Divine. Enjoy the journey of self-discovery and transformation. You must free your prana from its constant focus on concerns about the outside reality if you want to activate your Kundalini.
This is a significant shift that improves empathy, helps you to make razor-sharp intuitive judgments, and gives you a degree of confidence you’ve never had before. All of these adjustments assist you in not only identifying but also pursuing your true desires in life.