[table id=48 /]
Yoga and Yoga Asanas are the best way to mold your body at its best. Whether you talk about your standing posture, or sitting and lying postures, Yoga always helps you to find the best way for your health.
In this article, you will learn about an easy and simple Yoga Asana, that helps you to improve your sitting posture and spinal health tremendously. This asana is Sukhasana, popularly known as Easy Pose.
Easy Pose: Sukhasana
Sukhasana is a basic and foundational sitting posture. It is a beginner level crossed-leg, sitting and restorative asana, that enhances your sitting posture and alignment of the body from head to toe.
Easy Pose is among the simplest meditative postures and it is suitable for all beginners and advanced level practitioners. It opens the hips and lengthens the spine. Also, this asana keeps us grounded and calm.
This asana takes you to a different level of joy, happiness (Sukh), and comfort, therefore we call it Sukhasana or Easy Pose. It mainly focuses on the following muscles.
- Thighs and hips
- Knees and ankles
Easy pose brings a balance between physical and mental body, creating a deep rejuvenation of your body and mind. It brings calmness, patience, and relaxation within you.
Now, let’s see how to perform this asana.
How to Do Easy Pose
As its name suggests, this pose is quite easy to perform. The following instructions, you need to follow, to perform Sukhasana easily.
Preparing the Asana
- Sit on a yoga mat, with your legs stretched and straight.
- Keep your spine straight and erect. You can place your hands over the thighs.
Here, you form Dandasana. Take a couple of breaths here to bring coordination with the breaths.
Getting Into the Asana
- Inhale and fold your legs one by one.
- Firstly, bring your right foot under your left thigh. Then, place your left foot under the right thigh.
- Keep your knees wide and shins crossed.
Note- The inner edges of the feet should be resting on the thighs, while, the outer edges resting on the floor or mat.
- Make your legs relaxed, keeping the spine straight and lengthen your neck.
Note- Keep the head, spine, and neck aligned.
- Place your hands on your knees or thigs, wherever you are comfortable. You can also place your hands in Anjali Mudra (Salutation Seal), Gyan Mudra, or any other Hast Mudra.
- Now gaze straight and breathe deeply. You can also close your eyes for better concentration. Bring your awareness to the Chitta and feel the flow of Prana.
Hold this asana as long as you are comfortable. You can do the same with the reversed order of legs.
Releasing the Asana
- When you are done, take a slow and deeper breath.
- Exhale, straighten your legs and get into Dandasana.
- Now, breathe normally and relax.
- Perform pranayama in conjunction with Sukhasana to increase the benefits of this asana.
- You can place a folded blanket under your hips for additional support.
- In the beginning, sit against the wall to keep the spine straight and erect.
Precautions and Contraindications
- Do not tighten your ankles while performing the Easy Pose. Instead, keep the ankles flexible.
- Do not tilt your head down. Keep the head raised, crown facing towards the ceiling.
- Make sure to not arch the spine from the lower back.
- If you are having a backache, do not perform this asana more then 5-10 minutes.
- Avoid this asana if you have a recent or deep injury on your legs, hips or back.
- Do not perform this asana if you have arthritis on knees, inflammation on the back, or any other spine-related issues.
Benefits of Easy Pose
Sukhasa might look simple and less effective, but it comes with a heap of benefits. The following are the benefits of Easy Pose
- This asana put the muscles of the back into work. It enhances the alignment of the vertebral columns and improves the flexibility of the spine.
- Easy Pose tones the hip muscles. It removes all the tension and stress stored at the hips and provides mobility to the hips.
- Since this asana is a meditative pose, it increases the flow of prana to the body. Thus, it stimulates the proper circulation of the vital life force in the body and enhances the overall function of the body.
- Sukhasana brings a sense of calmness to the mind. It soothes the brain and removes its restlessness. Also, this asana removes negative emotions like anger, stress, depression, etc. It fills the body with the sensations of relaxation and peacefulness.
- Our daily sitting habits impoverish our sitting posture. This asana nourishes the hips, pelvis & spine and improves overall sitting posture.
- Easy pose removes stiffness from our thighs, hips, and lower back, and increases the fluidity of these parts.
- This asana brings our awareness to the soul within. It makes us internalize our true selves.
If you do a desk job, you might be conscious of your sitting posture. In daily life, we spend a lot of time sitting, and sitting in the wrong posture can ruin your spinal health.
So, if you are not cautious about the way you sit till now, then, it is time to pay some attention to your sitting style. It is time to perform Sukhasana/Easy pose and improves your body posture.