- Mountain Pose (Tadasana)
- Tree Pose (Vrikshasana)
- Triangle Pose(Trikonasana)
- Downward Dog Pose (Adho mukha svanasana)
- Cat-Cow Pose
- Cobra Pose(Bhujangasana)
- Camel Pose (Ustrasana)
- Seated Forward Bend Pose(Paschimottanasana)
Yoga will help you increase your height when you are in your teens, between 18 and 20 may or may not be. After 20, it is practically impossible to gain height with yoga or other exercises.
However, yoga can contribute to several factors that lengthen your spine and improve overall musculoskeletal strength, mobility and flexibility. Physical conditioning through yoga leads to better body awareness and improves your postures.
With regular practice you will easily compensate the lack of height with other physical parameters.
Till What Age can Yoga Increase Height?
Yoga in itself doesn’t really increase your skeletal height. However, if someone practices yoga during growth years, then the benefits of yoga can have a supplementing effect on the overall height.
To have a better understanding have a look at how yoga affects height at different ages.
- Yoga for Height Increase During Teen Ages
Luckily for teenagers, regular yoga training can enhance growth hormone secretion. It’s found in a 2014 study, Growth hormone (GH) and dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate (DHEAS) secretion decline with advancing age and are associated with the symptoms of aging. Yoga may restore and maintain general endocrinological properties in the human body.
The safest bet would be to say yoga helps increase height up to 18 years of age. If you have a kid who is about to hit puberty, this would be the best time to get him/her into yoga. Post puberty the human body goes through a natural growth process, supplementing this phase with yoga is a great idea.
- Yoga for Height Increase After 18
After 18, increasing your height is a bit of a stretch, but you will still have a little growth left in you. In most cases, the post 18 height increase is just an inch or a couple of inches. However, some people just stop growing after 18, and this is why you should consider yoga.
At 18, your growth hormone production won’t be an issue, but your concern will be to get the maximum workout to your bones before they reach epiphyseal fusion. Do practice yoga poses to stimulate HGH (Human Growth Hormones), but mostly you will need to focus on intensive bone stretches.
Poor lifestyle and lack of exercise after 18 age can make your body reject the last bit of residue growth. Practicing regular yoga will ensure that your body grows to its maximum potential height. Yoga stretches will stimulate the bone regeneration cells at the end of each long bone, to swiftly make new healthy bone tissues. These stretches will also boost blood circulation in the bones for faster healing and growth.
- Yoga for Height Increase at 25
You probably still feel young at 25, but unfortunately growing taller isn’t an option anymore. So at 25 why should you consider yoga? The short answer is to get proper body posture.
A sedentary lifestyle and hours of slouching in front of the screen can take a toll on your bones. As a result, instead of growing tall, you might start appearing shorter. The workload will quite literally weigh you down.
This is why you may engage in yoga to increase height after 25. Yoga will keep you aware of your body, and keep your musculoskeletal structure stretched to its right posture. Yoga might not help you grow taller at 25, but it can definitely save you from appearing shorter.
Moreover, research studies have shown that yoga can affect the growth hormone in Young men and women even at the age of 25. However, you must focus on the meditative yoga poses, that will awaken your inner vitality.
- Yoga for Height at 30
If you are 30 or in your 30s and are wondering if yoga can increase your height, you are probably just looking for a reason to practice yoga. At 30 growing taller is not going to happen, not with yoga, not with anything else.
In fact, your body starts aging after 30. The velocity of growth hormone production significantly decreases after 30, and each year 1% of your total body mass decreases.
After 30 you need yoga more than ever. Yoga poses will help you retain your physical conditions and slow down the aging process. And quite possibly with the newfound physical vigor, yoga will improve your body posture, which will make you appear fitter and taller.
8 Effective Yoga Poses for Height Increase
First things first, we will have to practice yoga poses to elongate the spine and then stretch the other long bones especially your leg bones. Once that is done will look for poses to calm the mind and stimulate growth hormone production. And finally, we will explore poses that will increase your general mind-body awareness, cognitive senses, and motor skills.
Practice these 7 yoga poses to increase your height and grow taller.
1. Mountain Pose (Tadasana)
Mountain Pose, also known as Mountain Tadasana, serves as the foundation yoga pose to improve posture and potentially increase height. It is a yoga pose that can help increase height by stretching muscles and ligaments throughout the body.
- Stand with your feet together and your heels slightly apart.
- Keep your spine straight and your shoulders relaxed.
- Raise your arms above your head with your palms facing forward.
- Gently stretch your whole body upward, lengthening your spine and stretching toward the sky.
- Hold this posture for 30 seconds to 1 minute, breathing deeply.
2. Tree Pose (Vrikshasana)
The Tree pose is essential for growth. It triggers cell regeneration in your long bones, stimulates your pituitary gland for HGH production, and strengthens your nervous system. The tree pose might not stretch your bones but will give them proper balance, stability, and posture.
- Stand straight in mountain pose.
- Legs hip length apart, chest puffed out, spine erect and hands straight by the sides of your body, pointing down with palms open.
- Gradually shift your body weight to your right leg, and lift up your left leg.
- Balance your entire weight on your right leg.
- Do this balancing by using your core and leg muscles.
- Focus on balancing your spine, and you will promptly get the pose.
- Raise both your hands overhead, and join your palms in a Namaste.
- Hold the pose for 30 seconds to a minute.
3. Triangle Pose(Trikonasana)
The Triangle pose (Trikonasana) can contribute to a larger body size by stretching and aligning the spine, promoting better posture and a taller appearance. The lateral stretch also engages the core muscles, strengthening the body’s foundation for a more upright posture.
- Stand with your feet about 3-4 feet apart.
- Turn your right foot outward at a 90-degree angle and your left foot slightly inward.
- Extend your arms parallel to the floor, palms facing down.
- Inhale, bend at the waist to the right, and reach your right hand down to your ankle, shin, or the floor.
- Keep your left arm extended upward, and gaze at your left hand.
- Hold for 30 seconds, then switch sides and repeat.
4. Downward Dog Pose (Adho mukha svanasana)
Downward Dog has a great impact on your nerves and brain. This pose is a very effective benefactor of the Human growth hormone. Healthy nervous functioning is essential to the secretion of Growth Hormone Releasing Hormone (GHRH). The Downward dog, stretches the spine, the nerves and increases blood flow to the hypothalamus that produces GHRH. This pose is also a good exercise for your thigh and shin bones.
- Get down on all fours, hands and knees.
- Keep your hands shoulder length apart, and knees hip length apart.
- Your wrists should be right below your shoulders and knees below your hips.
- Push against the ground with your hands and legs and lift your knees of the floor.
- Straighten your legs, push your buttocks upward and backward, straighten your spine, stretch your upper back and hands, and push down your chest.
- Do not bend the knee, although if keeping it entirely straight is very difficult you may keep a slight bend.
- Touch push back and touch the heels to the ground, or rest your heels on a yoga block.
- Take 5 breaths and release the pose.
In downward dog pose, you can add a twist to your spine by twisting your torso and holding your right leg with your left hand, and vice-versa. Twisting your spine is a good way to lengthen the spinal vertebrae.
5. Cat Cow Pose
Cat-Cow is essentially a pose for your spine and belly in order to increase the height.
The pose includes the spine to arch successively on both sides. This unique stretch will help the spine to elongate. Cat-Cow has a pleasant effect on your abdomen, for a healthy metabolism. A healthy metabolism is important for all sorts of growth, including height. The abdominal region also produces a wide range of hormones, that can collectively encourage the release of HGH.
- Get down on your knees and hands.
- Keep your wrists below your shoulders and knees below your hips.
- Keep your hands straight.
- With an inhale, hang down your belly, roll back your shoulders and look up.
- Do not sink your neck into your shoulders, keep it extended up.
- Then with an exhale, roll your shoulders down, curl up your belly against your spine and look down.
- Do this 10 times.
You can add a leg and hand movement in cat cow pose for height increase. By extending and stretching out your right hand and left leg with the inhale, and bringing them closer like a crunching movement with the exhale, and touching your right elbow with your left knee. Next time do the same with opposite hand and leg. It’s called bird dog exercise.
6. Cobra Pose (Bhujangasana)
Cobra pose is also primarily a pose of the spine. However, the arch, in this case, is different. This pose has much better effect than any other pose, in increasing the strength of your spine. A strong spine will avoid spinal and nervous injuries; injuries that can dampen your growth. Naturally, like all spinal stretches, you will have length elongation and nervous benefits, which lead to increased height.
- Lie on the front of your body.
- Bend your hands from your elbow and place your hands by the sides of your body, with your palms touching the ground.
- Keep your legs hip length apart and feet with the top planted on the ground.
- Now push against the ground and pull with your abs, to arch up your spine.
- Arch up all the way till your hands are straight and you can look Infront.
- Keep the arch even in your entire spine.
- Use your abs and chest muscles to regulate the arch of the spine.
- Make sure that your pelvis is touching the ground and not lifted.
- You can keep looking Infront or arch back your head.
- Take 5-7 breaths and release the pose.
If the arch of cobra is too intense for your spine, try arching up only half way on your elbows. It’s called baby cobra pose.
7. Camel Pose (Ustrasana)
The spinal stretch of camel pose is such that it simultaneously stretches and relaxes your spine. Camel pose is great for stress management and stimulation of the hypothalamus; both factors encourage height growth. Stress can cause your body to waste HGH and shun your height growth.
- Kneel down on your knees, with knees slightly wider than hip length apart.
- Plant the top of your feet on the floor.
- Take a few deep breaths.
- Now gently massage your hip with your hands.
- Now push your hips forward, and arch back your spine slightly.
- Repeat this a few times in a back and forth, rocking motion.
- This part will act as a warm up for your pose.
- Next, push your hips front, nicely to arch back your spine all the way till your shoulders come over your heels.
- Arch back your head and hold your heels with your hands.
- Your thighs will tend to spread outward, resist it.
- Take 5-7 breaths and release the pose.
Alternatively, you can avoid holding your heels with your hands, rather, keep them on your hips, and keep pushing with them to increase and hold the backward arch.
8. Seated Forward Bend Pose(Paschimottanasana)
Seated Forward Bend Pose puts pressure on the hamstrings and neck area, which, when performed correctly, can help improve flexibility and an upright posture that gives the appearance of greater height
- Sit on the floor with your legs extended straight in front of you, toes flexed toward you.
- Inhale, lengthen your spine, and engage your core muscles.
- Exhale, gently hinge at the hips, and reach forward toward your toes. Keep your back as straight as possible.
- If you can, hold onto your toes or wrap your hands around your feet.
- Hold the pose for 30 seconds to 1 minute while maintaining deep and controlled breathing.
- Slowly release the pose and return to an upright position.
How Does Yoga Influence Height?
Once again, yoga influences height differently at different ages. Our skeletal height primarily increases by the growth of our long bones with the help of Human Growth Hormones (HGH).
Let’s quickly take a look at how we grow tall. The hypothalamus in your brain produces Growth Hormone Releasing Hormone, which stimulates the production of the growth hormone by the pituitary glands. The growth hormone then through your bloodstream travels to your liver triggering it to produce a protein called an insulin-like growth factor. These proteins are then used up by your bones to grow tall.
- Yoga Regulates Growth Hormone
During your growing years, yoga poses can help you develop a healthy brain, that will lead to the normal production of growth-related hormones. Stress can cause the wastage of growth hormones. Yoga poses will effectively manage stress and keep a balanced production of growth hormones in your body.
- Yoga Stimulates Bone Growth
The yoga stretches and twists of your spine and bones will encourage the growth of new bone cells. Yoga experts believe that the hold period of the stretches and twists stimulates certain cells in your bones that are responsible for the generation of new healthy bone cells. This process of regeneration is critical for your height growth.
- Yoga Boosts Blood Circulation
Yoga poses will also help maintain a proper blood flow that will help the growth hormones travel to the liver efficiently. Your circulatory system is the primary medium of transport in your body. Thus, the nutrients required for you to grow taller will circulate through your bloodstream.
- Yoga Maintains Healthy Liver
And finally, the abdomen squeezing yoga poses will improve your liver health, for proper insulin like growth protein production. The protein produced by the liver is actually what binds with cells in your bones for increasing your height.
Although you can and better try all the poses, irrespective of your age for best results. Especially, since each of these poses have a whole lot of other health benefits apart from just increasing your height. However, if you must skip out some, keep an eye out for the following points.
If you are in your teens practice the aerial butterfly inevitably. In our teen years hanging exercises have a very positive effect on elongating our spine and thus increasing our height.
If you are someone who is just crossing 18 then the downward dog is a must. This is a time your body will go through a lot of other changes and the downward dog is well equipped to handle those.
Being at 25 the cobra pose is a mandatory inclusion to your routine. This exercise strengthens your spine and largely enhances your mind-body coordination, something you will need a lot at 25.
And finally, when at 30, the tree pose and the camel pose are a must. The tree pose will open you up to a new level of mind-body awareness. And the camel pose will pleasantly relax your bones and keep you stress-free.