A mudra is a symbolic gesture and non-verbal expression of our unconscious mind reveals through hands, eyes, and body posture. Our thought patterns, desires, and even the suppressed power can be manifested in reality by the practice of simple gestures.
Surabhi Mudra is one such powerful mudra that can get desires manifested in reality and so fulfill the wishes.
If a seeker practices this Mudra regularly then S/he will be successful in bringing the positivity and creativity in their life. In brief, the seeker will be able to gain the power of transformation.
Surabhi: The Daughter of Kamadhenu Cow
According to Hindu Puranas, Kamadhenu is a miraculous cow that has the power to fulfill the desires one wishes for. She has a daughter name Surabhi and like her mother, she got the divine power of wish-fulfilling.
Surabhi is actually a synonym of a cow. Our fingers make the shape like a cow’s udder when we performed this mudra, so it’s called the cow mudra, dhenu mudra, or kamadhenu mudra.
Meditating on udder like fingers in this mudra helps the unconscious mind to observe its own fickleness. Once it settles down, the only thing remains is our sakama practice. A sakama practice is when we have a particular desire in the heart while practicing.
How to Do Surabhi Mudra
- Choose a comfortable sitting posture, either simple Padmasana or Vajrasana works best for this mudra.
- To begin Surabhi Mudra; bring your hands at the chest level and do Namaste while hands are separated.
- Move the ring finger of the left hand towards the little finger of the right hand and then take your right little finger over this to touch the little left finger.
- Then move your left index finger to touch the tip of the right middle finger and taking over this, move left middle finger to touch the right index finger.
- Adjust fingers little up and down to hold them touch properly.
- keep both the thumbs spread apart pointing toward the heart and this whole arrangement of fingers pointing up towards the sky.
- Hold the mudra and meditate on fingers for at least 1 to 2 minutes. Chanting the Gayatri mantra in this mudra further increases its working efficiency.
Holding fingers in this mudra may look daunting but it comes easily with slow and consistent practice. One can try;
- One can bend fingers, in the beginning, to make proper contact in between cross fingers while doing Surabhi mudra
- If your hands tremble while practicing it then open & close your fist, expand & contract fingers for serval times would help
- Going slowly and following instructions in the same manner as described in step 3rd and 4th would help in making a good grip between fingers.
Few Points to Check
These precautions should taken while performing Surabhi mudra;
- The thumb should remain untouched – While performing Surabhi mudra especially, one should be careful that the thumb should not touch the root of any of the fingers.
This is because when this happens, the impact of the element will enhance and this might reduce the benefits which the seeker would have otherwise achieved.
- If you are a beginner then you must start practicing this mudra with a lower time limit. Till the coordination is established between the organ systems, you should do this yoga mudra for only a few minutes.
How Does It Work
In Surabhi Mudra, the index finger (Air element) meets the middle finger (Ether element). This position brings the highest chakra at the center of the head in balance and mentally gives a soothing sensation. Furthermore, the ring finger (Earth element) touches the tip of the little finger (water element). This position helps in enhancing creative powers.
As per Swami Purna Chaitanya Surabhi, a direct disciple of Gurudev Sri Sri Ravi
Shankar, Surabhi mudra is a therapeutic gesture which helps in balancing all the elements. It helps in solving the issues related to Kapha, Vata, and Pitta. This is why Surabhi Mudra is also known as Tridosha Nashak Mudra, a destroyer of three doshas Vata, Pitta, and Kapha.
Surabhi Mudra also stimulate the endocrine gland and flush out the toxins from the body. Due to the secretion of endocrine hormones, It helps in attaining ultimate happiness, peace, and creativity.
Based on the thumbs arrangement under different fingers, Surabhi can practice in its 4 variation types.
- Vayu Surabhi Mudra – Vayu Surabhi Mudra helps in solving the health issues that relate to Vayu problems in the body. In this, the thumb tips touch the base of the index finger.
- Shunya Surabhi Mudra: In this variation, there is the involvement of the Akasha element and hence it would lead to a calm mind. In this mudra, the tips of the thumbs touch the base of the middle finger.
- Prithvi Surabhi Mudra: Since the Prithvi element is involved, there is a reduction of cough and good digestion. In this, the tips of the thumb touch the base of the ring finger.
- Jal Surabhi Mudra: This mudra brings in a cooling sensation to the body. In this, the tips of the thumb touch the base of the little finger.
Surabhi Mudra Benefits
- Surabhi Mudra is the most powerful gesture for Navel chakra or for the persons having constipation, ulcers, and diabetes issues. This mudra balances excessive or suppressive energy of this chakra and creates vitality in it.
- As one element combines in this mudra with a different element, it magnifies and multiplies their powers. In Kundalini awakening, this power strengthens the body and mind to withstand rising kundalini and breaks energy knots (if any).
- Since the regular practice of this mudra helps in enhancing creativity, it increases the positive energy within the seekers and thus helps them to make their wishes get fulfilled.
- Surabhi Mudra also helps in relieving gas and acidity troubles because it activates the excretory system.
- As all the five elements (Pancha tattvas) combines in some way in this mudra, it takes care of the hormone system, gland system, and also balance in the Pancha tatva.
- Surabhi mudra with the Gayatri mantra creates a meditative environment that improves the ‘Aura’ of the body.
- As Surabhi mudra directly related to third eye chakra, it enhances the memory and concentration power of the seeker.
Im having excess vata symptoms like Tinnitus, Constipation. Can I practise Surabhi Mudra ? Pl guide
Yes, Vata individuals can do Surabhi mudra. Surabhi Mudra is known to calm the mind and reduce anxiety, which can be helpful for reducing excess Vata.
I wanted to ask when is the best time to perform Surabhi mudra. I have read generally morning time best meditation and mudra but I was if this particular mudra is fine to perform in the evening like before going bed.
Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Hi Jay, there is no harm in doing Surabhi Mudra in the evening. However, If you intend to do Surabhi Mudra for any specific therapeutic purposes – I will not suggest doing it at night time because it stimulates the Fire Element (which may cause wakefulness). But if your practice is just for meditation purposes, it can be done.
Is Surabhi Mudra helpful in Thyroid – Hypo or Hyper conditions? Pl guide
I have a couple of questions with regard to Surabhi mudra, hope you could help!
1. Whether this mudra is effective for costochondritis (it seems to be a rare condition), or there is another mudra that can address this issue or balance the energies in the chest area. Thank you ?
2. What if I connect first little finger of the right hand with ring finger on the left, and over this pairing, I connect the little finger of the left hand with the ring finger of the hand, and so on. Is it essentially the same mudra? The elements are connected accordingly, just in a different order, which seems to be easier to hold. I really appreciate your help and reply.
1. I am not sure about the effectiveness of Surabhi mudra for costochondritis. The meridians of the chest are present in our index fingers. As in this mudra, the index finger is actively stretched and pressed, it may be helpful in chest pain.
Apana vayu mudra will definitely be helpful in costochondritis.
2. Yes, it’s still the same mudra. The only difference is that in your way of finger arrangement, you are starting it with the right hand’s little finger. In both cases, right-hand fingers are dominant over the left-hand fingers.
Thank you for the reply! I am really grateful