The third eye chakra or better known as your ‘6th sense’ is the only chakra that is concerned more with the connection with the self on a more spiritual level. Located in the space between your eyes, the balance of the 6th or ‘Ajna’ chakra is of utmost importance.
An imbalance in third eye chakra will cause you to lose focus on the higher purpose of your life, make you irritable, cause severe anxiety or anger issues, suffer from depression, vision problems, and headaches. People with an imbalanced chakra may even come off as closed-minded and rigid. The list of possible problems is quite long!
Sounds too exhausting, right? Who would want to lead a life filled with so much negativity?
Easy and efficient ways to open third eye chakra
1. Meditate along with the ‘OM’ mantra to increase focus and concentration
Meditation gets you connected with your inner self and helps in making you calm. Sitting in solitude, closing your eyes, and performing deep inhalation and exhalation for 15-20 minutes does cut you off from the world; however, you can concentrate better and sought out your thoughts.
Meditation poses specially meant for the third eye chakra, is one of the best and sought after ways to balance your chakra.
- Start by sitting (on the floor, chair or bed) in the classic meditation pose . Remember to sit somewhere quiet as you would need full concentration.
- Your spine should be straight and your body should be as relaxed as possible.
- Now close your eyes and take slow deep breaths for a few minutes. This will further help in relaxing your body.
- Concentrate on the space between the eyebrows, where the chakra lies. You need to imagine looking at the space between the brows or put your finger in between that space to help in locating it better.
- While breathing slowly and steadily, picture a small ball of energy forming. As this energy ball expands, it will help in removing the negative thoughts and vibes that surround you and help in the healing process.
- You can stay in this position for 10-15 minutes and feel the energy encompass your body.
- Once you feel you are ready, take one deep breath and open your eyes slowly.
Chanting ‘OM’, also known as the seed mantra of the third eye chakra, while focusing on the energy ball can help in awakening of chakra. It is recommended that meditation be performed under natural light. Using relaxing music can also help you in getting into the zone of meditation.
2. Practice Yoga asanas that direct the energy towards the third eye chakra
Yoga is another effective way you can balance your third eye chakra. Certain poses or asanas that focus on increasing the flow of energy towards the head are beneficial in the healing of your third eye chakra.
A few of the most effective asanas to balance your third eye chakra are as follows:
- Child’s Pose (Balasana) – tap the positive energy from mother earth and let go of all negative energy
- Candle Gaze (Trataka) – gets you into a state of deep focus, increased awareness and directs energy towards the chakra location
- Wide Legged Forward Fold (Prasarita Padottanasana) – increased blood flow towards the head and provides a shift in perception
- Standing Forward Bend (Uttanasana) – stretching of hamstring and spine along with blood flow towards the head and chakra location
- Kitchari Mudra, Shambhavi Mudra and Kumbhaka breathing – helps in looking inwards and improves focus
The above are only a few poses that will help in stimulating the chakra. Mostly, any yoga pose that makes the blood flow towards the head or directs the energy towards the chakra location is effective. Make sure you do some stretching before starting the yoga poses to relax your muscles.
You can also chant the ‘OM’ mantra, while exhaling during these exercises. The vibration of the chant will help in energy flow and the opening up of the third eye chakra.
3. Imbibe more purple colored, vitamin and protein rich foods items in your diet
A healthy diet is also quite frequently linked to a healthy body and mind. This is because eating the right food helps in giving the right nutrition to the body and keeping a good flow of energy.
As purple or indigo is the color of third eye chakra, it is advisable to increase the intake of fruits and vegetables such as blueberries, blackberries, eggplants, red cabbage, red onions, beetroots, etc. in your diet.
Also, chlorophyll-rich food items like seaweed, kelp, spinach can help in keeping your third eye chakra iodine-rich. Make sure to include enough protein, vitamin D and B3-rich ingredients as they are linked with a higher source of energy and keep your body active.
Walnuts, chia seeds, sardines, salmons, grape juice, which are a great source of omega-3, also helps in maintaining the balance of the chakra.
Dark chocolate, which is known to be a great source of magnesium, will help in increased concentration. The serotonin boosts dark chocolate gives will help you in staying in a good mood, which is essential for a healthy mind.
4. Use few drops of essential oils to calm your mind and balance third eye chakra
Aromatherapy is one of the most effective ways to release stress and calm your mind. The gentle smells of the essential oils combined with meditation can help in balancing your third eye chakra.
Scents like rosemary, sage, sandalwood, nutmeg, lavender, german chamomile, frankincense, juniper have proven to be majorly effective. You can mix a few drops of these in a base oil and rub it on your wrist or directly drop it on the place the chakra is located. Also, rubbing some oil near your pillow during bedtime can help you calm your mind and sleep better.
5. Get 7-8 hours of sleep regularly to keep yourself rejuvenated
Sleep is one of the ways our brain rejuvenates itself. Getting sleep for at least 7-8 hours is essential for balancing the third eye chakra. It is said that the time between 1 am to 4 am is the time our body goes into reset, hence it is important to maintain an effective sleep cycle.
If you’re unable to sleep, try some of these tips:
- put away your mobile, tablet, kindle or any screen at least 1 hour before going to sleep.
- listen to some calming music that will relax your mind and body.
- try deep breathing exercises.
- have your dinner at least two to three hours before going to bed.
6. Wear chakra colored gemstones as jewellery or use crystals as crystal grid during meditation
Crystals are said to have special healing energies. For your third eye chakra, using crystals and gemstones of the same color as the chakra, i.e., purple, is another way to balance or heal the third eye chakra.
The gemstones and crystals that are most recommended for this chakra are:
- purple sapphire
- purple violet tourmaline
- purple fluorite
You can also wear these gemstones in the form of jewellery or use the larger crystals during your meditation. Some practitioners also recommend keeping the crystals in your pocket for a more potent flow of energy..
7. Incorporate herbs in your daily diet or during meditation
Apart from food items, try incorporating chakra balancing herbs in your diet as well. Use these herbs in teas or while making salads or other foods.
Herbs that you can use for third eye chakra balancing are :
- Poppy seed
- Star Anise
Another way you can use these herbs is by using them as incense. There are many room fresheners that come in some of the above soothing scents that can be sprayed in the space you use during meditation or to sleep. You can also use their diluted forms in oils or diffusers.
Just like essential oils, the herbs help remove any blockage or imbalances in the third eye chakra.
8. Say positive affirmations to surround yourself with positive vibes
Positive affirmations have been known to be greatly effective in building your confidence, boosting your morale. Hence it doesn’t come as a surprise that saying some positive phrases helps in redirecting positive energy towards the third eye chakra. You can look up some phrases that will help in third eye chakra balancing.
Some positive chakra affirmations for third eye opening that you can use are:
- I recognize wisdom comes from within.
- I am open to inner guidance.
- I am an intuitive person, and I know what is right for me.
- I am on my true path.
- I have unlimited possibilities available to me.
- My third eye is open and ready to see my purpose.
- It is safe and good to follow the guidance of my third eye.
You can adjust these affirmations as per your comfort or need. It will psychologically help you in becoming more positive and direct your brain to a new set of directions. You can imbibe saying these affirmations during or after your meditation.
How long do these practices take to show effects?
Practicing regularly is the key to balancing the third eye chakra. It can take days, weeks, months or even years to get a perfectly balanced chakra. Some people even spend their lifetimes practicing the ways to balance their chakra. However, if you keep following the above tips daily, you will surely reap its benefits one or the other way.
Balancing the third eye chakra helps you connect to yourself more spiritually. It helps in the process of becoming focused on your goals and decisions. Once the blockage starts removing, you will automatically feel that your mind has become clearer and you are more calm and aware of yourself and your surroundings.
A balanced third eye or the Ajna chakra is believed to be linked to higher intuition, greater wisdom, increased sense of awareness and spiritual linking. Practices such as yoga asana, regular meditation, chanting the seed mantra, and aromatherapy are some of the most effective ways to stimulate the pineal gland (the location where the chakra lies).
The main idea is to not force yourself but have patience and enjoy these practices as a way for a healthy life and a relaxed mind.