Explore Judith Hanson Lasater’s life journey, including her background and family, discover her insightful quotes, dive into her famous yoga books, and discover her distinctive approach to Restorative Yoga in this article.
Judith Hanson Lasater is a highly influential figure in the world of yoga. With a career spanning over four decades, she has played a pivotal role in the development and popularization of yoga in the United States and beyond. Her deep expertise as a yoga teacher, physical therapist, and author has left an indelible mark on the yoga community.
Lasater’s significance lies in her pioneering efforts to introduce yoga to the United States during the 1970s when the practice was relatively unknown in the country. She co-founded the San Francisco Iyengar Yoga Institute and contributed significantly to the Yoga Journal magazine, further promoting yoga awareness.
Her significant contributions include authoring influential books like “Relax and Renew: Restful Yoga for Stressful Times,” leading workshops, and offering digital courses. Judith Hanson Lasater’s holistic yoga approach, focusing on restorative practices and spirituality, inspires and guides yoga practitioners globally, solidifying her esteemed status in the yoga community.
Judith Hanson Lasater Biography and Family
Judith Hanson Lasater’s early life paved the way for her influential yoga journey. With a doctorate in East-West Psychology and a background in physical therapy, she turned to yoga in 1970 to combat arthritis while still a student. This led her to become a yoga instructor in 1971, initially at the YMCA, and she became an early disciple of B.K.S. Iyengar.
She deepened her expertise by attending yoga teacher training in the Bahamas during her honeymoon. This marked the beginning of her remarkable career in yoga teaching and writing.
Judith Hanson Lasater’s husband is William Staniger, who is often referred to as “Ike” Lasater. Together, they have been involved in various endeavors related to yoga and meditation. Ike Lasater co-founded The Yoga Journal in 1975 with Judith Hanson Lasater, and he has deepened his belief in the importance of connection through his experiences in yoga and meditation.
Judith Hanson Lasater is a family-oriented person with a loving family. She is married to William Staniger, with whom she has three grown children. Judith’s daughter, Lizzie Lasater, is not only the mother of twins, but is also following in her mother’s footsteps as a yoga teacher, forging her own path in the world of yoga instruction.
This close-knit family shares a deep commitment to yoga that reflects Judith’s influence and unwavering dedication to the practice. This commitment is being passed on to the next generation through her daughter, Lizzie.
Judith Hanson Lasater has an impressive educational background. She earned a bachelor’s degree in physical therapy and a master’s degree in Eastern philosophy from California State University, Sacramento.
She also earned a doctorate in East-West psychology from the California Institute of Integral Studies in San Francisco. Her extensive educational background has given her a deep understanding of both Western and Eastern perspectives, which she has integrated into her teaching as a yoga teacher and author.
Judith Lasater’s Yoga Style: Exploring Restorative Yoga
Judith Hanson Lasater is known for her expertise in various styles of yoga, but she is most closely associated with and has made significant contributions to the practice of “Restorative Yoga.” This style of yoga focuses on deep relaxation, healing, and stress reduction.
Here are some key characteristics of Judith Lasater’s approach to Restorative Yoga:
- Emphasis on Relaxation: Restorative Yoga, as taught by Lasater, places a strong emphasis on relaxation. It involves the use of props such as bolsters, blankets, and blocks to support the body in gentle, passive poses. The goal is to create a comfortable and nurturing environment for practitioners to deeply relax.
- Long Holds: Poses in Restorative Yoga are typically held for an extended duration, often ranging from 5 to 20 minutes or more. This extended holding of poses allows for a profound release of tension and stress.
- Balancing the Nervous System: Judith Lasater’s Restorative Yoga sequences often include poses that promote the balance of the autonomic nervous system. This can include gentle inversions, forward bends, and twists to soothe the nervous system.
- Meditation and Mindfulness: Her teaching integrates meditation and mindfulness practices. Practitioners are encouraged to cultivate present-moment awareness, connect with their breath, and achieve mental stillness.
- Accessibility: Lasater’s Restorative Yoga is accessible to individuals of all levels and abilities. The use of props and the gentle nature of the practice make it inclusive and suitable for everyone.
- Healing and Stress Reduction: Restorative Yoga, as taught by Judith Lasater, is often used as a therapeutic practice for healing and stress reduction. It helps individuals release physical and emotional tension.
Judith Lasater Yoga Teacher Training
Judith Hanson Lasater is a highly respected figure in the world of yoga teacher training. She has been teaching yoga since 1971 and holds a doctorate in East-West psychology, along with being a physical therapist. Her approach to yoga teacher training is rooted in a deep understanding of yoga’s physical and philosophical aspects.
- Extensive Experience: With over five decades of teaching experience, Judith brings a wealth of knowledge and wisdom to her teacher training programs. Her training programs benefit from this rich experience.
- Alignment and Anatomy: Judith’s training programs often emphasize the importance of proper alignment and a strong foundation in anatomy. This focus ensures that yoga teachers are equipped with the knowledge to guide their students safely.
- Restorative Yoga: Judith is renowned for her work in restorative yoga. Many of her training programs incorporate restorative yoga techniques, teaching aspiring instructors how to create a nurturing and healing practice.
- Mindfulness and Philosophy: In addition to the physical aspects of yoga, Judith’s training delves into yoga philosophy and mindfulness. This holistic approach helps teachers deepen their understanding of yoga’s spiritual and mental dimensions.
- Global Reach: Judith Hanson Lasater’s influence extends internationally, and she has taught yoga around the world. Her training programs often attract students and aspiring teachers from various countries.
- Digital Courses: In addition to in-person training, Judith offers digital courses, making her teachings accessible to a broader audience.
Judith Lasater’s Yoga Books
Judith Hanson Lasater, a highly influential figure in the world of yoga, has authored numerous books that expand the boundaries of yoga practice, covering topics from restorative yoga to embodying the spiritual aspects of yoga. Her writings have contributed significantly to the understanding and evolution of yoga as a holistic practice.
In “Relax and Renew,” Judith Hanson Lasater guides readers through the art of restorative yoga. This book offers valuable insights into relaxation techniques, using props, and achieving deep states of calm and healing through yoga.
Living Your Yoga” is a year-long journey of self-discovery through yoga. Judith Hanson Lasater encourages readers to apply the principles of yoga to everyday life, fostering spiritual growth and mindfulness.
3. Yoga Myths
In “Yoga Myths,” Judith Hanson Lasater addresses common misconceptions and provides guidance to correct them. This essential guide helps practitioners avoid injuries, deepen their practice, and gain a better understanding of yoga’s true essence.
In this book, Judith Hanson Lasater draws from her extensive experience to guide yoga teachers in the art of clear and effective verbal communication and judicious touch. It serves as an essential guide for yoga instructors looking to enhance their teaching skills and create meaningful connections with their students.
Restore and Rebalance” by Judith Hanson Lasater offers a program of yoga poses designed to promote deep relaxation and rebalance the body. It provides valuable insights into restorative yoga practices, helping individuals find serenity and healing through yoga.
Judith Lasater’s Quotes
“Taking time out each day to relax and renew is essential to living well.” – Judith Hanson Lasater
“You can’t make yourself be compassionate, you can only keep stepping back and becoming” – Judith Hanson Lasater
“I am of the nature to grow old. There is no way to escape growing old.” – Judith Hanson Lasater
“Compassion is the litmus test of our yoga practice” – Judith Hanson Lasater
I believe that yoga should not be just something we do, but how we are. – Judith Hanson Lasater
FAQs About Judith Hanson Lasater
Judith Hanson Lasater is a renowned yoga teacher, author, and leader in the yoga community. She has been teaching yoga since 1971 and has made significant contributions to the practice of yoga, particularly in areas like restorative yoga and yoga philosophy.
Judith Hanson Lasater’s husband is William Staniger.
Judith Hanson Lasater has three grown children and the names of the children are Miles, Kam, and Lizzie.
Judith Hanson Lasater lives in the San Francisco Bay Area with her husband and three children.
Judith Hanson Lasater is known for her approach to yoga, which includes a focus on restorative yoga and therapeutic applications of yoga postures. She emphasizes the importance of relaxation, mindfulness, and deepening the mind-body connection.
Judith Lasater describes Restorative Yoga as a practice that focuses on relaxation, opening, surrender, and softening. It is a gentle form of yoga that helps individuals release tension and restore balance.
Judith Hanson Lasater has authored several books on yoga and well-being. Some of her notable books include “Living Your Yoga,” “Relax and Renew,” “Yoga Myths,” and “Restore and Rebalance.”
Living Your Yoga” is a book by Judith Hanson Lasater that explores the spiritual aspects of yoga and how to integrate yoga principles into everyday life.
You can find information about Judith Hanson Lasater’s yoga training programs on her official website and various online platforms that offer yoga courses.
According to publically available resources, Judith Lasater‘s estimated net worth is around $7 million accrued through her yoga business and partnerships.