A healthy adult (both male and female) normally inhale 500 ml of air & approximately exhale the same volume in one breath 1. What special in Kapalbhati breathing is, it increases the amount of air lungs expel in every breath.
Exhaling breath is actually the process of detoxification & cool down the brain from hot gases. So, with longer exhalation, you can expel a larger amount of CO2 (a stressor gas) & other impurities out of your body.
During kapalbhati pranayama, we expel 100 ml extra (600 ml) air as compared to normal breathing. This practice is very helpful for Shallow/Chest breathing 2.
What is Kapalbhati?
Kapalbhati is a yogic technique in which belly intentionally draws in to produce forced & sharp (active) exhalations through nostrils followed by automatic passive inhalations.
Although, In Hatha yoga pradipika, kapalbhati’s picture depicts like this so it’s also called “breath of fire“.
Kapalbhati is one of 6 Yogic kriyas (Shatkarma) mentioned in ancient yogic text Gheranda Samhita. Other 5 Kriyas of Shatkarma are:
- Dhauti – For purification of the food pipe
- Neti – For purification of nasal cavities
- Nauli – For purification of the digestive organs
- Trataka – To strengthen eyes
- Basti – For cleaning large intestine
- Kapalbhati – For purification of the head region
Meaning of Kapalbhati
Sanskrit word kapalbhati is the made up of ‘Kapal’ & ‘Bhati’. Kapal means ‘Skull or Frontal head‘ & Bhati means ‘Shinning‘.
In this way, combining terms together
Another name of Kapalbhati is ‘Bhalabhati’ where Bhala means Head (in a way to cure Anemia).
Benefits of Kapalbhati Pranayama
1. Massages the Brain & Hence Control Stress Response
Kapalabhati is a reversible process of normal breathing & hence, as compare to usual breath it affects in the brain different way.
According to a Belgian yoga instructor Andre Van Lysebeth,3 During normal breathing fluid around the brain is compressed and so that brain contracts.
Rapid or active exhalation of kapalbhati creates a pressure difference in the belly 4. The belly pressure reduces the permeability of inhaling air which further makes the effect of exhaling air twice strong.
On an exhalation of Kapalbhati, fluid around our brain (Cerebrospinal Fluid) decompressed. The way massage therapy works on cerebrospinal fluid 5, the same way rapid exhalation of kapalbhati function. This is called the massaging effect of kapalbhati on the brain.
The massaging effect helps the brain to calm and relax even in adverse conditions, which is a controlled stress response.
2. Strengthen Respiratory Muscles & Avoid Asthma, Lung Cancer Like Diseases
In normal breathing, we rarely fully optimize our respiratory organs because of shallow breathing. Kapalbhati is like a warm-up exercise for respiratory organs that utilize maximum muscles in the breathing process. Thus, kapalbhati breathing strengthens the respiratory muscles.
Further, when your respiratory muscles are strong enough, this makes the system efficient to avoid any respiratory diseases like Asthma, lung cancer, & COPD.
To assess the effect of kapalbhati pranayama on the respiratory system, peak expiratory flow rate measured 6 in adults.
In this study, 60 subjects randomized into 2 trail groups, namely pranayama (n=30) and control groups (n=30). Control group subjects haven’t participated in kapalbhati while to pranayama group supervised training was given. Peak expiratory flow rate in both group’s subjects measured before & after the 6 weeks.
In kapalbhati pranayama group, the highest value of expiration recorded at the end of 6 weeks was around 300-350 M/L and in the control group, it was around 200-250 L\M.
This study shows that regular practice of kapalbhati pranayama makes your respiratory organs work more efficiently & hence strengthens its muscles.
3. Helps in Getting Glowing Skin by Purification of Blood
Our skin color depends upon a pigment called melanin 7. For glowing skin, melanin should present in a balanced proportion in the organs. Its availability can be easily regulated by the oxygen flowing in the blood.
So simply, If you want glowing skin, there must be better oxygenation of blood flowing through your veins. More oxygenation means better your skin tissue revival will be, which makes skin glow 8.
Regular & consistent practice of kapalbhati increases the circulation of oxygen-rich blood in the body. This blood helps to cure acne, wrinkles, dark circles, and other skin disorders completely.
Kapalbhati becomes more beneficial for glowing skin when it’s practiced in conjunction with Varun mudra (gesture of water). Sufficiency of water comes through this yoga mudra nourishes the dry skin & makes skin glow.
Different impurities present in our blood cells are also the cause of dull, blotchy, and lackluster skin. Rapid strokes of kapalbhati pull out these impurities in the form of CO2. Hence, kapalbhati stimulates cellular regeneration to bring back skin’s natural glow.
4. Prevents Hair Loss & Improves Hair Growth
The common cause of hair loss could be pregnancy, menopause, thyroid, stressful experience, depression & high blood pressure. Among all the cases, most of the time it happens because of limited or restricted supply of oxygen to the scalp.
In kapalbhati pranayama, by short & forceful exhalation, the flow of oxygen-rich blood to the head area (or scalp) gets increased. This is the same as the massaging effect of kapalbhati.
Massaging effect stimulates the secretion of pituitary and thyroid glands. On secretion of these hormones, a better connection gets established between our skin & the hair. In this way, kapalbhati can prevent hair loss & helps in the growth of new hair.
5. Helps in Weight Loss
Excess fat accumulated in the body has become a problem in general in today’s era. You can imagine from this statistic only, 70 million adults in the U.S are obese (BMI > 30 kg/m2) 9.
Kapalbhati’s mechanism of rapid exhalation, one after another, let you expel out extra accumulated fat from your body. In this way, kapalbhati is considered a purificatory exercise (Shuddhi Kriya/Shatkarma) rather than just a Pranayam.
To understand how kapalbhati works for weight loss, one can easily relate Kapalbhati with any other physical workout. The way any physical exercise increases our metabolic rate 10 the same does the kapalbhati. This increased metabolism is a key that decides how fast our body will process the raw food & convert it into energy our cells need. This increases calorie consumption and further, decrease in fat deposition.
Hence, in simple words, it can be understood by increasing metabolic rate, kapalbhati helps in weight loss.
Many pieces of scientific studies have proved the weight loss effect of kapalbhati pranayama by just 8 weeks of consistent practice.
In a research 11 done in Mumbai based institute, 60 overweight resident doctors were recruited for 8 weeks of control-trial study. These doctors were divided into 2 groups, 30 in the study group & 30 in the control group. Waist circumference and hip circumference were measured in both group’s doctor before the study.
The study group doctors were given kapalbhati sessions, Monday to Saturday (15 minutes) under the supervision of experts.
At the end of 8 weeks, waist circumference and hip circumference in both group doctors were measured.
This study shows kapalbhati is a great exercise for the treatment of abdominal obesity.
6. Cure Problems Related to Digestive system
Practicing kapalbhati can let you relief from the common digestive problem such as stomach pain, gas, ulcers, nausea, constipation or diarrhea.
In kapalbhati, when we blow out the air by rapidly pushing abdominal muscles inward, it actually massages the abdominal organs. This massage makes all abdominal organs work efficiently, which further enhances the overall mechanism of the digestive system.
Indian Yog Guru Swami Ramdev suggests Kapalbhati & bhastrika pranayama when practiced at a slow pace, is beneficial for GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). People suffering from GERD is witnessed for acidity problems, burning sensation in chest & throat.
7. Reduces Blood Sugar Level in Diabetic Patients
Kapalbhati pranayama can make a diabetic person strong enough to fight against many diseases such as heart problems, kidney problems, eye damage & Alzheimer’s disease. These are common diseases that can occur to a diabetic person.
Actually, the practice of kapalbhati is helpful in the secretion of insulin hormone which moves sugar from the blood into the cells. In this way, the sugar level in blood decreases & hence diabetes can be controlled.
To assess the effect of kapalbhati on diabetic patients, it has seen in a study 14 that on practicing kapalbhati for 1 month there is a significant decrease in blood sugar level.
How To Do Kapalbhati Pranayama: A Step By Step Guide
Traditionally, the practice of kapalbhati is preferred in some seated yogic asana while maintaining a balance of ease and effort. For those who suffer to get into the seated postures, can also perform it on a chair or in lying down positions.
After getting comfortable into the pose, begin kapalbhati breathing, draw your belly in to force your breath out in shorter intervals of inhaling.
1. Sit in a comfortable yogic posture
Relax your body, close your eyes & sit in a cross-legged position on the floor. Bring your focus completely on the breath going in and out of nostrils. One can also sit in yogic postures like Padmasana & Sukhasana, if comfortable.
2. Make a suitable hand gesture
3. Inhale deep (First breath)
Now bring your awareness to the belly region by syncing normal breathing with belly movements. Take a deep breath ‘in’, in a slow & steady manner from both nostrils. This will fill pranic energy into the lungs for further rapid exhale. Concentrate on inhaling quietly.
4. Exhale active & Inhale passively
This is the foremost step of kapalbhati Pranayama.
‘Exhale with stroke through the diaphragm and inhale will become automatically’ it’s the beauty of kapalbhati. A beginner should do it with full attention and with minimal stress on the abdominal region.
- While breath is in your lungs, pull your stomach in towards the back. Pull as much as you comfortably can draw but not in a stressful manner. Your excessive stress can put an adverse effect on internal organs.
- As you pull the stomach in, breath rapidly comes out of lungs through both nostrils and automatically a lighter breath draws in at the same instance.
5. Repeat & Relax
One forced exhale with lighter inhale is counted as 1 breath of kapalbhati.
Repeat in this manner for 20 to 40 breaths, and It will be one round of kapalbhati. After one round, relax abdominal muscles & watch your breath. When you feel a calmness in breathing, repeat the same kapalbhati breath for the next round.
After 3 rounds, keep sitting in cross-legged posture for a few minutes & observe the sensations of the body. Now you can go for some meditation practice.
Beginner Tips for Kapalbhati Pranayama
- Put your right hand on the stomach to feel the abdominal muscle movements. Keep the stomach’s pulls equal and continuous throughout the whole cycle of pranayama.
- If you experience dizziness while practising kapalbhati, you are doing it forcefully. Start practising it with less force and more awareness.
- For a beginner, 3 rounds of 20 breath are sufficient in the beginning.
- After practicing 1-month increase up to 5 rounds and 10 breaths per week. In this way, at the end of 6 weeks, you will be doing 100 breaths per round, i.e. 500 kapalbhati breaths.
Types of Kapalabhati Pranayama
According to inhalation and exhalation practices at different-different pace, kapalabhati can be divided into 3 parts.
1. Vatakrama Kapalbhati
Vatakarma Kapalabhati consists of rapid exhalation one after other through both nostrils where Inhalation will be short & passive. It’s similar like kapalbhati as mentioned earlier except that, exhalation here is done through the mouth with kumbhaka(restraining breath in the nose).
2. Vyutkarma Kapalbhati
Vyutkrama Kapalbhati is similar to Jala Neti (a type of neti – nasal cleaning technique). This practice consists of sniffing water from a pot through both nostrils and expelled through the mouth. It helps to clean the nasal cavity, throat, and inflammation around the nose. Click here to learn how to perform Vyutkarma Kapalbhati with its benefits.
3. Sheetkrama Kapalbhati
Sheetkrama Kapalbhati is the opposite process of Vyutkrama Kapalbhati. It requires sucking water in through the mouth and expelled through the nose. Sheetkrama removes the wrinkles of the face, glows the face. It also cleans the mucous membrane of the nose that allows breathing well. Click here to learn how to perform Sheetkrama Kapalbhati with its benefits.
Kapalbhati Side effects
Kapalbhati is a great way to strengthen body, mind and relief stress only when performed in a limit. If it’s performed improperly and excessively, there are some side effects also.
- Since kapalbhati is directly associated with the abdominal and respiratory system, it takes overwork from these systems. Therefore it can lead to a hernia, hydrocele, and heart-related problems.
- Improper guidance sometimes can cause to spinal disorders.
- Performing kapalbhati with excessive strokes can cause dizziness, obstruction in the nasal cavity.
- Excessive practice from the first day leads to dry mouth, pain in abdominal muscles and vomiting sensation.
- Kapalbhati is an advanced level breathing technique so before start practising it, begin with some basic level pranayama like alternate breathing.
- People having abdominal ulcers should avoid performing kapalbhati.
- Women during pregnancy and menstruating should avoid kapalbhati.
- People suffering from a respiratory issue like asthma & high blood pressure should not do it with much effort.
- While starting pranayama, one should know their limit and accordingly decide the working period.
Kapalbhati Pranayama FAQs
- Lung volumes and Alveolar ventilation: https://aiimsrishikesh.edu.in/documents/lung_volumes_alveolar_ventilation.pdf
- Shallow breathing means: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shallow_breathing
- Who is André Van Lysebeth: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C3%A9_Van_Lysebeth
- Effect of kapalbhati on mental health and respiratory parameters https://shodhganga.inflibnet.ac.in/handle/10603/274948
- Massage Therapy Effects on Cerebrospinal Fluid Neurochemistry https://grantome.com/grant/NIH/R21-AT004127-02
- Effect of 6 Weeks of Kapalabhati Pranayama Training on Peak Expiratory Flow Rate in Young https://www.researchgate.net/
- Medical Definition of Melanin https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=4340
- The Oxygen Paradox: https://www.everydayhealth.com/columns/ava-shamban-your-skin-and-your-health/the-oxygen-paradox/
- Obesity in the United States https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obesity_in_the_United_States
- How to Boost Your Metabolism With Exercise
- Effect Of Kapalbhati Pranayama On Waist And Hip
- Effect of Kapalbhati on Body Fat Percentage http://efsupit.ro
- Effect of Kapalbhati Pranayama on Body Mass Index and
Abdominal Skinfold Thickness https://www.systemanatura.com/content/uploads/2016/04/Kapalbhati_BMI.pdf
- Effect of Kapalbhati Pranayama in the blood sugar level in diabetic patients http://jprsolutions.info/files/final-file-5b97239707b980.36193502.pdf