Sri Dharma Mittra is a prominent figure in the world of yoga, renowned for his impactful journey in yoga practice and teaching. Let’s delve into his life journey, learn about his background and family, explore his famous yoga books and quotes, and discover his expertise in the yoga style known as Sri Dharma Yoga.
Shri Dharma Mittra is a revered yoga master and spiritual teacher with over five decades of experience in yoga practice and teaching. He is known for his expertise in asanas, pranayama, and meditation. He is renowned for creating the “Master Yoga Chart of 908 Postures,” which has become a valuable resource for yoga practitioners worldwide.
After meeting his Guru, Sri Dharma dedicated ten years to practising Karma Yoga and immersed himself in the study of the Eight Limbs of Yoga. After three-and-a-half years, he became a Sannyasi, renouncing the world to realize God. During this time, he had the honor of being the personal assistant to his Guru, attending to all his needs.
Sri Dharma Mittra Biography
Sri Dharma Mittra was born on May 14, 1939, in the small village of Pirapora, Minas Gerais, Brazil, and his early life was marked by humble beginnings. He was raised in a poor family of five children and was brought up in the Catholic faith. In his early teenage years, Sri Dharma Mittra began his journey into yoga, setting the foundation for a lifelong dedication to the practice.
In 1964, Sri Dharma Mittra left the Brazilian Air Force for New York, not knowing English. His brother Sattya served as his translator. In 1966, Yogi Gupta initiated him as a sannyasin, renaming him Dharma, symbolizing “friend of good works.” He moved into Yogi Gupta’s ashram.
Sri Dharma Mittra had a total of five siblings, including a younger brother named Sattya. His family had a mixture of Catholicism and spiritual quests in their faith. Sri Dharma served in the Brazilian Air Force for seven years before embarking on his yoga journey. His son’s name is Dov Samuel Vargas and he works as a yoga teacher in New York City.
In his twenties, Sri Dharma Mittra served in the Brazilian National Air Force for nearly seven years, during which he also owned a gym and engaged in bodybuilding, wrestling, and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. His interest in esoteric teachings and yoga was kindled in his early teenage years through books his younger brother was studying.
Dharma Mittra’s estimated net worth is approximately $10 million, as reported by publicly available resources. This wealth has been accumulated through his yoga-related business ventures and partnerships.
Sri Dharma Mittra’s Contribution to the Yoga Community
- Creation of Dharma Yoga: Sri Dharma Mittra founded Dharma Yoga in 1975, a yoga system that emphasizes physical postures (asanas) to strengthen both the body and mind. This system has had a positive impact on countless yoga practitioners, helping them achieve physical and mental well-being.
- Master Yoga Chart of 908 Postures: Sri Dharma Mittra is renowned for creating the “Master Yoga Chart of 908 Postures,” a comprehensive resource that provides a visual guide to a wide range of yoga poses. This chart has become a valuable tool for yoga teachers and students worldwide.
- Teaching and Mentorship: With over six decades of experience in yoga, Sri Dharma Mittra has been a dedicated teacher and mentor. He has influenced and inspired numerous yoga practitioners through daily classes, workshops, and teacher training programs.
- Karma Yoga and Selfless Service: Sri Dharma Mittra’s commitment to karma yoga, the path of selfless service, is evident in his dedication to sharing the wisdom he has gained through his practice. He continues to serve humanity’s spiritual development by teaching and practicing yoga.
- Age-Defying Practice: At an age when many would consider retirement, Sri Dharma Mittra continues to teach and practice yoga. His vibrant health and continued commitment to yoga serve as an inspiration to people of all ages.
Explore the Essence of Sri Dharma Yoga Style: Dharma Yoga
Dharma Yoga is a unique style of yoga founded by Sri Dharma Mittra, a renowned yoga teacher and practitioner.
Several key elements characterize this style of yoga:
- Graceful and Challenging Asana Practice: Shri Dharma Yoga strongly emphasises the practice of yoga postures (asanas). It is known for its graceful and meditative approach to asana practice, combining physical challenge with inner contemplation.
- Incorporation of Traditional Yogic Philosophy: Dharma Yoga blends techniques from Hatha yoga with traditional yogic philosophy and meditation. It encompasses the holistic principles of yoga, including ethical and spiritual components.
- Meditation and Pranayama: The practice includes meditation and pranayama (breath control) techniques to calm the mind and enhance self-awareness. These practices are integrated into the yoga sessions to create a balanced and meditative experience.
- Spiritual Guidance: Sri Dharma Mittra’s teachings often include spiritual guidance and a deep sense of humility. He is regarded as a true yoga master, and his teachings aim to inspire self-realization and a sense of connection to the divine.
- Legacy of Sri Dharma Mittra: Sri Dharma Mittra’s decades of experience and dedication to yoga have left a lasting legacy. His teachings emphasize the importance of constant practice and selfless service (karma yoga) as a means to spiritual growth.
Shri Dharma Yoga is a holistic and well-rounded yoga style that not only focuses on physical fitness but also on spiritual development and self-realization. It has gained popularity for its comprehensive approach to yoga and its emphasis on inner peace and self-awareness.
Sri Dharma Mittra’s Yoga Nidra: An Inner Journey to Tranquility
Sri Dharma Mittra, a renowned yoga teacher, incorporates Yoga Nidra into his teachings as a powerful meditation and relaxation practice. Yoga Nidra, often called “yogic sleep,” is a guided meditation that induces deep relaxation while maintaining awareness. Sri Dharma Mittra’s approach to Yoga Nidra combines ancient yogic wisdom with modern techniques to guide practitioners into a state of profound rest and inner exploration.
Benefits of Sri Dharma Mittra’s Yoga Nidra
Sri Dharma Mittra’s Yoga Nidra offers a multitude of benefits, including:
- Stress Reduction: It helps calm the nervous system and reduces stress and anxiety.
- Improved Sleep: Regular practice can lead to better sleep quality and relief from insomnia.
- Emotional Healing: Yoga Nidra facilitates the release of suppressed emotions and promotes emotional well-being.
- Enhanced Self-Awareness: Practitioners gain insight into their inner selves and foster self-realization.
- Spiritual Growth: It can be a tool for spiritual exploration and self-discovery.
Sri Dharma Mittra’s Yoga Nidra is a profound practice that empowers individuals to connect with their inner wisdom, promote relaxation, and embark on a transformative journey towards physical and mental well-being.
Sri Dharma Mittra’s Dietary Preferences:
Sri Dharma Mittra follows a predominantly vegan diet. He is a strong advocate of ahimsa, the principle of non-violence, which extends to his dietary choices. His commitment to non-violence reflects in his decision to abstain from consuming animal products, as it aligns with his belief in showing kindness to all living beings.
Specific Diet Plans
While there may not be specific yogic diet plans outlined by Sri Dharma Mittra, his dietary choices revolve around plant-based foods. He emphasizes consuming a variety of fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds to maintain a balanced and nutritious diet. His diet is rich in natural, whole foods that promote physical and mental well-being.
The Role of Diet in His Yoga Practice
For Sri Dharma Mittra, diet plays a crucial role in supporting his yoga practice. A clean, plant-based diet not only aligns with the yogic principle of ahimsa but also contributes to overall health and vitality. Nutrient-dense foods provide the energy and stamina needed for the physical demands of yoga asanas and the mental clarity required for meditation and spiritual growth.
Sri Dharma Mittra’s dietary choices are in harmony with his holistic approach to yoga, promoting well-being for both the individual and the environment.
Dharma Mittra Yoga Books
Asanas: 608 Yoga Postures” by Dharma Mittra: This book is a comprehensive guide to classic hatha yoga postures, featuring 608 illustrated yoga poses. It’s a valuable resource for practitioners and instructors.
Dharma Yoga Life of a Yogi Teachers’ Manual” by Sri Dharma Mittra: This manual provides insights into the teachings and practices of Dharma Yoga as taught by Sri Dharma Mittra. It serves as a guide for yoga teachers.
Yoga Wisdom by Sri Dharma Mittra: Encapsulates his 50 years of selfless service, sharing wisdom from his guru and personal Sadhana. In addition to yoga practices, it delves into knowledge of the Supreme Self. A valuable resource for serious yoga enthusiasts.
Shri Dharma Mittra Famous Quotes
Every time you have a chance, go within and do your meditation. – Shri Dharma Mittra
See yourself in the practice you are not able to access right now. Imagine yourself in it. –Shri Dharma Mittra
With the Ethical Rules and a little concentration, anything is possible. – Shri Dharma Mittra
Always remember that Nature refuses to be rushed. She can only be made to evolve and that takes time, so take heart. – Shri Dharma Mittra
FAQs About Sri Dharma Mittra
Sri Dharma Mittra is a renowned guru of modern yoga known for creating the “Master Yoga Chart of 908 Postures” and authoring yoga books, including “ASANAS: 608 Yoga Poses.” He has dedicated his life to sharing the wisdom he gained through yoga practice and study.
Sri Dharma Mittra was born on May 14, 1939, and his age is 84 years old.
Sri Dharma Mittra’s personal life is relatively private, but he has mentioned his wife and children in interviews.
The founder of the Dharma Yoga Center is Shri Dharma Mittra.
Sri Dharma Mittra’s teaching philosophy emphasizes self-realization, ethical living, and the path to spiritual enlightenment through yoga.
Yes, he conducts teacher training programs to train individuals to become yoga instructors.
Sri Dharma Mittra follows a predominantly vegan diet, emphasizing plant-based foods and abstaining from animal products as a part of his yoga philosophy.
Sri Dharma Mittra has authored several yoga books, including “Asanas: 608 Yoga Poses” and “Yoga Wisdom.” These books offer insights into yoga postures and spiritual wisdom.
According to publically available resources, Dharma Mittra’s estimated net worth is around $10 million accrued through her yoga business and partnerships.